Thursday, April 23, 2009

Fearing the Brush


When I'm in the studio, I usually run quickly with a creative idea. I fearlessly mix medias, explore different ideas, and nothing is off limits. I work small. I work big. I work bigger than me.
But there comes a time when I need to put the brush in my hand, dip it in pigment, and paint.

It is this moment that I freeze in terror like a deer in the headlights. What gives me the authority to paint? What makes me a painter? At this point, I jump and block out the voices, shrugging them off at every turn. Keep going I say! Keep going!

2 comments:

  1. What a nice way to "visit" with you :)
    Thanks for sharing your way and your days... today and the ones yet to come. Love, Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have addressed a common fear for most artists and I suspect creative people everywhere. The difference between those who succeed and those who don't is usually the trust that if one just keeps at it, "it" will turn into something worthwhile. You do beautiful work, proof that you have earned the authority to paint.

    ReplyDelete